Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My first 5km race!

Just before the race
This weekend just gone I achieved my first running goal - completing a 5km course with no walking!  To say I was stoked with myself is a complete understatement.  It was a major milestone for me not just physically, but mentally.

I realised while watching Chanel 10's The Biggest Loser that a big part of my problem has been in my head, not in my legs, lungs or heart!  My body CAN do more than I've been asking of it, if I am prepared to push it.  So, I went into the race with a "no excuses, no buts" attitude.  Not "I am going to try to make it the whole way", but "I will run 5km".  No try.  Just do.

Was it hard?  You bet.  It was the hardest run I've done to date - I've never pushed myself that hard in training before.  In fact, I spent the final 200 meters just visualising myself collapsing on the grass just past the finish line and how awesome that would feel.  For the km prior to that, I was picturing the contestants in the most recent The Biggest Loser episode pulling those City  Rail trains and screaming to myself mentally I am a warrior!

My official time was 40:33.  I'm now training to run a 10km in about 3 months time, but hoping to do at least one more 5km race before then, with a time of 35minutes or less. 

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome!! It's a big goal of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so rewarding when you get to that next milestone too Kath... I'm hoping at the back of my mind I can do a half-marathon before the end of the year.

    I think I'll try to choose a cooler day to do my next long run though, the hottest day in summer to do my longest single run so far... just over 11km... maybe not so wise... ;)

    ReplyDelete